Friday, April 11, 2008

Little Girl - modeling WIP


  • Hello everyone :) - my first post here, hope there'll be no glitches ;)
  • I started modeling the little girl this week
  • so far it's only 'pure' geometry, without any sculpting but I do intend to do some subtle detailing in Zbrush on the clothes [the face is good as is I believe, since there's no detail per se on the concept anyway]
  • So here's the progress so far - let me know what you think and what you want changed. CHEERIO and have a good weekend :D

14 comments:

Adam Goldstein said...

LOVELY!
I love most the eyelashes, little skulls, and band-aid on the leg. I wonder about the wings (especially the frame part - if it's supposed to be a framelike design element it works but I always say them as more realistic) and the lower part of the head (chin area) but I guess you'll tweak in zb here and there.

About the hands - they are great but doesn't she have mittens in the design?

Talking about design, the magician as he is now will not fit in the same universe with the little girl...I went for a more realistic approach so I will simplify him quite a lot...the look of the project is still unclear to me (goes hand in hand with the wings comment), I dunno, I really like the grunge in the early design of the magician for example where his hat is all torn. Now I know we are going for the final designs but look-wise, do we go grungy or super clean? Because I'm ok with both, I guess it's mathiew's call. Call!

Sorry for the ramblings. The girl is awesome. Great job.

Magdalena said...

Thanks!
The design I've based the character on mostly is this one: http://bp0.blogger.com/_tckoduBfE70/R7kTDdFA4JI/AAAAAAAAABA/S1bWeAuWa-8/s1600-h/Final_Girl_with_Box_Magician.jpg
+ the crazy faces character sheet

there's a tiny drawing of a hand here without a mitten :)

the wings are in my mind very stylized and more Burton'esque... I was thinking more along the lines of those trees in the earlier concept/inspiration examples. On the final drawing they're very much non-realistic I think... I feel the whole project is more along the lines of Nightmare Before Christmas look, with those curled lines like on her lashes, wings and his shoes, jacket, or on the trees.
but like you said - Matt decides :)

Adam Goldstein said...

Hmm...the more I look at the model the more I appreciate how close you are to the references...really groovy work there. As for the wings I meant well it's hard to say without pointing my hands but the Burton copyrighted little twirls in the ends are awesome and work, I was talking about the structure of the frame.

As for the hands,you're right, the little hand seperate from the body is indeed gloveless. Max Albert and I had a fight on MSN, he thinks this is your best model ever and I say it's Purity :)

Magdalena said...

lol well I hope this is not hehe - it's pretty simple and I wouldn't believe Max anyway ;) - especially over MSN, I just have to see his face to know if he's serious LOL Glad you like Purity, though it is just a speedmodel...

So you think the frame is too constructed and defined? Is that what you mean? not sure I'm getting ya right and I want to correct stuff if you guys think they suck :D

MatDuf said...

Hello!

Well Magda! I had already seen your wip at work but you really are lightning fast! heheh!

Excellent work!

OK so first off, I'll try to disambiguate the style issue!

I think that Magdalena has a better grasp over the style I am going for. Like you said Adam, her model is super-clean and this is what I am looking for this character and the magician. For the three band members, it's a little different. They're zombies of sort so they should be dirtier (what Adam did for the drummer still fits perfectly in my mind!)

That being said, I would describe the style as being "super-clean grungish" as opposed to "grunge-cutish" which is more what you had in mind. Let me try to explain.

Magdalena really nailed it I think with the little girl. But she has to be the cutest thing on earth so she needs that clean polished look. The magician has to look like a nice intriguing and slightly impressive / scary character. I do love the opening in his hat on the drawing with the girl's official design and i'd love to keep that! I also like the patchwork a lot! I think that these 2 elements contribute to the "slightly impressive / scary" effect.

So basically, what the characters are made of (except the little girl) should be grungish but artistically speaking, in the way they are modeled, it needs to be super-clean.

In the end, like Magda said, the project is more along the lines of Nightmare Before Christmas than anything else.

I hope that this helps a little bit! If I'm still not being clear, please tell me and I'll try my best to explain myself!


You're right Magda! The final design shows a hand but I would also like to have mittens! Would that be possible?

I love the wings as they are right now! I'm also not too sure I understand what you mean Adam...! Speak up now or forever hold it in you! :P

There are 2 things I'd like to see Magda! Could you post a picture of what you did in her back? I want to see how the wings are attached. I don't have a precise idea in mind... I just want to see how you did it!

Also, could you post a side view of her?

Truly awesome work Magda! :) So glad to have you on the team!!!

Have a nice week-end everyone!

MatDuf

MatDuf said...

Oh! One more thing I forgot!

Could you make the long part of the scarf something like 3/4 of the length it has right now? It's because of cloth simulation... it always stretches the meshes so we need to make it shorter if we don't want it to always be touching the ground.

Also, could you add a bit of those little "threads" or something (I don't know how to call this in english...) that are hanging from each end of the scarf?

That's all! :)

MatDuf said...

OK one last addition. Speaking with Adam, he told me that the "grungy but clean" part still wasn't clear. So here's one more tentative at clearing things up which seemed to help Adam a bit!

what i meant is that having a hole in the hat or patchwork is grunge and i do want that. But the visual treatment that we give to these elements has to be super-clean!

Is that any clearer to everyone?

Magdalena said...

will make all the additions no probs [mittens + tassels on the scarf and the shorter length].
I'm totally clear what you mean and that's exactly the style I was thinking of myself :)

Oh question about the scarf - I did this curve in it now just to show it like it's in the refs but do you want it modeled straight to apply the sim to it?

I'll post the other views on Monday :D

Thanks muchly ;)

MatDuf said...

Yes indeed! It would probably be better to have the scarf straight both for rigging and simulation purpose! Thanks for asking about it! :)

Yanir Kleiman said...

Nice work!

I like the nose and lips area.
How far (or wide) do you think she'll be able to open her mouth or smile?
Just out of curiosity...

I find the straying hairs in her hairdo (the ones on the side of the pony tails) a little unconvincing, since real hair would behave too differently... Can't think of what would look better to me though.


And something a little off-topic - I sent Adam the finished model of the jack in the box a few days ago. Did you get it?

Yanir

MatDuf said...

We'll have to do some testing about the mouth but I think we'll be able to do a pretty huge smile! In the case that it doesn't work, as I discussed with Magda earlier this week, we would have to do a second seperate head specially built to support the smile.

Personally, I like the little hair strands on the sides! What bugs me though is that they're exactly the same on both sides! Also, I might add a few more! just 2 or 3!

I didn't receive feedback from Adam about the Jack-in-the-box but are you ready to take on another part of the project Yanir? If so, just let me know!

Magdalena said...

yep we'll be testing the smiles :)

as for the strands - I agree about them being too symmetrical - reason is, I haven't done asymmetry yet, the hair mesh is not merged, so what you see is just a clone ;) [btw the hair would react like that if it was naturally curly :)]... I was thinking about going for separate strands first but for animation purposes I think this is better - I may do it though if you want :) Thnx for the comments guys!

Yanir Kleiman said...

Yup, I'm ready for another part.

I was thinking about working on the drums set, if no one else is going to work on it.

MatDuf said...

You're reading my mind Yanir! :)

That's exactly what Adam and I had thought you could work on next! So go ahead and if you need anything, just ask!