
hello
im sick today which means: an update!
ok, this guy was a toughie. first, even though he's cool, his design is totally anti-brass-instruments since he has no lips and a bandanna and second, he needs to play it while playing the guitar.
so i used some extra artistic liberty here:
1) changed the teeth pattern on the bandanna to a zipper (although the teeth can stay with the zipper). he unzips it when he plays the brass. i did it because i like how he looks covered up and it solves the no-lips problem.
2) gave him 2 extra arms. they should be smaller and less developed then his main ones. i think its a good solution to playing 2 instruments simultaneously and it leaves room for little animating jokes like the extra hand helping out with the guitar or wiping off sweat or fixing the crooked sunglasses or messy hair or whatever.
so what do u think? can we use it?
p.s.
this wont work too well with a tuba ;)
12 comments:
Alright! This one requires lots of thinking! heheh!
I'll do so in the upcoming days and will get back to you later on it!
Right now what i'm thinking is that it's a good idea but it's a change that implies a lot of things so i want to think it through before saying anything!
Good work Galit! Thanks a lot!
MatDuf
Hmm...I think the extra hands from the back could work if they don't break the poor rig (or rigger)...the only other option for an extra pair of arms I could think of was splitting up the arms a-la general Grevious in the StarWars movies. The thing is that approach has been done :) So arms from the back (we can use the fact that they are kinda like wings in some way, maybe before the audience realises that the things growing from his back are arms, since the structure is the same). So I'm for the arms from the back.
I can't say the same about the zipper in the hankerchief though...for some reason it just feels less, um, cool. How about if he just sticks the sax into the nose cavity of the skull instead? Or if that is too extreme, we could just open magically the hankerchief with the teeth, like it goes from logo drawn on the hanky to the actual opening shaped like teeth, but since it's cloth he can wrap it around the sax. Matduf you are the foremost cloth expert in the whole entire building. Think about it :)
One last question - is it a sax or a trombone? I can't bring myself to listen to the awefull song again :) :) :)
Laterz! And great work Galit as usual! And thought-provoking too this time :)
I think it's actually tuba that's used in the song but it really doesn't matter to us... as long as it's a brass instrument, people are going to make the link...
I am also currently asking myself if we really need to have that instrument... It could have been cool from an animation point of view but one of our options could also be to simply ditch the brass instrument...
I mean... on that, you have to give it to Galit... His design IS totally anti-brass...
And actually, if you ask me, even when looking at the band's final design, it feels to me like the sax in that picture is a last minute add-on that was forgotten on the drawing!
Anyway... Keep on thinking! :)
Comments and thoughts of everyone are welcome in here! Keep 'em coming!
personally I'd have to agree with Matt about the brass feeling obsolete...
I have to say I do like the zipper idea quite a bit LOL - made me laugh
SO - Mathiew you heard about extra arms to rig and you ran for the hills (strategically retreated) ?
Ok...how about the drummer (which has an enormous amount of space on his back) suddenly sprout these brass instruments (he can easily hide a tuba) like BOING and start playing...check out this image, his mouth can be pumping air into the tube through that pipe thingy...and the tuba is instead of the drum
http://pro.corbis.com/images/CBR001863.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BC3805DEC-4A4D-47A0-BDDC-BDE1DB9697B4%7D
Think about it...Oh and as someone who played in a youth band for years (clarinet, blah), there is no way you can confuse a sound of a sax with a tuba, so if it's a tuba, it should be a tuba. Since I love the funky wierd vibe the brass gives the clip, we should definitely try and keep it in.
OK so after spending quite a few hours thinking about the guitarist, I've come up with a few decisions.
First of all, the guitarist will not have the extra arms. And no Adam, it's not because I'm scared of rigging them! ;) The main reason why is that other than holding the instrument and maybe opening the zipper, they really wouldn't have any other true purpose which would probably end up making them feel pointless / boring.
As for the zipper, well, since we don't have arms anymore, I think it also becomes purposeless. That does not mean that it's not a good design idea though... Personnaly, I think we could keep the zipper on the handkerchief but just as a design element (i.e. it wouldn't open.)
I'd like to have everyone's opinion on that! I really don't mind if we keep it or not so let's just have a vote and whichever solution gets more votes by monday april 14th is the option that will be used! :)
I will cast my vote on keeping the original design without the zipper but that's just basically a coin toss!
So! now that we have settled it for the guitarist's extra arm, we come back to problem number 1 which was "what to do with the brass instrument?"
Well I think it boils down to 2 solutions:
1- No brass instrument in the short movie.
2- We try Adam's solution of attaching a tuba to the drummer's back which he would be able to play without the use of his hands.
If we can find a cool design for the drummer to play his tuba, I'm all for it! I would love to keep the brass instrument but it is not necessary to have it in order to have a good short movie so if we don't find an ingenious working solution, we'll keep it out!
By the way, to the person who would generously provide us with some cool new designs of the drummer (hmmm hmmm... eeehm! Galit??? *wink wink* :P ) I just want to add that I do not intend to have a full view of the tuba system . The drummer is the most static of all character in the short. We'll always see him from an almost perfect front view so all that we need to see is basically the part that gets to his mouth so that he can blow in it and maybe like 1/4 of the rest of the instrument that we can see over his shoulders.
One last thing about the instrument, remember to think cheap! :D it must not be a true tuba. it has to be made of bits and pieces of anything! thrashes, recycled stuff, wood... anything!
Alright so that about sums up "MatDuf's endless and painfully long to read thoughts" for now! :)
I'll post an update on the rig beta-testing / development in the next few days!
Take care everyone and don't forget to cast your vote for the handkerchief before monday april 14th!
MatDuf
I do like that zipper a lot but I agree about there being no real point to it and need for it so I'm also for no zipper [I still like it though LOL] [he can have a picture of himself with a zipper on a t-shirt *g*]
Hmm...no, I'm against zipper on bandana (confusing and like mag said) and also against a picture of him with a zipper on his shirt (ditto but even more so) :)
I'm also against the zipper on the bandana, since zippers that has no purpose have become somewhat fashionable lately (I mean in real cloths...), and we don't want to give the impression that any of these guys are fashionable, do we?
since the zipper has no purpose i vote no as well, unless maybe we make it look like teeth (the one on the right):
http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=guitarmaskec8.jpg
but maybe yanir has a point and a zipper IS too fashionable for them...
Hahahah!
Very nice Galit! I love your style! :)
I still prefer the original teeth though but that was wuite a good idea!
Everyone voted against the zipper so I guess that it pretty much settles it (unless Galit's new idea sparks back the debate??)
On my side, I consider that issue to be resolved.
Very nice color work btw Galit! :)
Oh! For some stupid reason I couldn't see this before - probably a copy/paste issue. Gnarly teeth! Me like!!! But still not the zipper. See, with the bandana with the shining through teeth we really have something that will be awesome for the solo, because until then the bandana is just your ordinary rag but then the teeth light up and it's dark and they glow and everyone in the theater in Sundance goes "fuck" and then "that was awesome".
Galit I hope you are not sick anymore although anytime you are is a joyous occasion for this project.
Matduf you ass your team won unbelievably last night and I might owe Max a beer osti. Hope your surgery went well and you are still alive, otherwise forget it.
Post a Comment