Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jack In The Box - Mechanism

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments Mat & Adam!
(sorry I didn't reply earlier...)

I was going for the more cute and cartoonish look with the handle mechanism and all around, and I understand from your comments this is not the look you are looking for...

I've renovated the main sprocket to look a bit more "nasty" and less cute.
Also added all kind of good stuff inside - most of them are even suppose to physically work together, though they might take a little bit of work to animate properly.
I'm not sure this will hold a close up of slow 360 turn, but for a short close up of fast action I think it will be fine :)

So here are the images - only low poly this time:

The whole box


A close up from the left


And a close up from the right



The spring on the upper left side is meant to be loose at one side, by the way :)

Please continue with the useful comments, thanks!

7 comments:

shoze said...

i really like the long toothed gear. definitely more "nasty" looking.
good job.

Adam Goldstein said...

Hi Yanir, the gears are great but the spikes on the main one are a bit too much. I've had a discussion with Mathiew about this and we decided that two points are problematic:
A) The main gear doesn't read as a gear anymore. What that means is that from a half-a-second glance a person would not recognize it as a gear, which is a problem.
B) The girl should not be afraid of the box - she should approach it because it is cute and interesting..if it was spikey, she probably wouldn't touch it.

Actually now I think about it, maybe the gear could transform into spikes slowly as the box is opening...hmmm...Mat think about it. As for this model, if you have any last things you'd like to add like hinges do so and send it to me as an obj...

I would actually like to see some environment pieces next...like a tree or a misshaped branch. It shouldn't be realistic but more a disney/tim burton/day of the tentacle esthetic. Remmember send the model to thejinj2000@yahoo.com!

Laterz!

Yanir Kleiman said...

Galit - thanks! I should add that I like the style of your drawings very much (I don't comment cause I don't have much too say more than that).

Adam - No problem, I'll put the cute looking gear back. Or maybe I'll transform the spiky one to the cute one so you can blend-shape it or whatever it is called in xsi...

Anyway, I still need to smooth things out so I will send you the model later this week.

About the tree - I just love DOTT!
One of the best games I ever played, mostly because of their wacky designs...
However I would like to have a little more details about where in the clip it is supposed to appear, a quick sketch would be great otherwise I feel it wouldn't match what you have in mind.

Oh, by the way, got my canadian visa today :)

Adam Goldstein said...

No kidding? Congratulations man! Student visa for VFS?

MatDuf said...

Well Adam pretty much summed it all up!

I love the new inner mechanism! Like you said, it feels like it can work! And don't worry about the rigging job! That's my problem and it won't be a problem for too long! :P

So like he said, let's switch back to the more cartoonish gear.

I think I like the idea of the box "becoming evil" as the handle spins! I will think about that in the coming days but it won't have any influence on the model. The only drastic change that would happen on the box if we do so is that the spikes might indeed start to grow but the rest of the transformation would probably be VFX or texture based.

About the environment, I might have someone to work on that already! Let me just confirm that this week and I will get back to you!

Until that gets confirmed, would you like to try out on the cane model? (which might apparently make it into the project's logo!! heheh)

I'll get back to you ASAP!

Have a nice week!

MatDuf said...

Oh! Almost forgot!!

Congratulations on your visa!!!! :D

When are you coming over?

Yanir Kleiman said...

OK matduf,
As I said I need a few more hours of work on the model to smooth out all the little parts inside, so don't worry about me being out of work :)

About the cane - I'll be happy to do it, I like the cane :)
But didn't Adam said he was going to work on it in his last comment?

And yes, the visa is a student visa for VFS - and also for my adorable girlfriend (that was the tricky part actually...).
I'm coming in June, which is getting to be just around the corner, how exciting...!